Saturday, March 26, 2016

I'm Not a Vet For a Reason

Like so many animal-obsessed little girls, there was a period of time when I thought I wanted to be a veterinarian. 'Sounds like a dream job, right? Working each day with fluffy kittens and cute puppies, helping old dogs feel better and making pet owners happy. Except. Except that the job really involves a whole lot of putting animals to sleep, seeing suffering and pain that cannot be fixed, helplessly recognizing pet owners that are indifferent or even cruel toward their pets. And then there is the blood. And open wounds. And oozing.

My career decision rightfully moved toward the teaching profession, and it was a good choice. After 25 years I still love my art teaching job. Yes, I deal with annoying technology, messy pottery wheels and buckets of wallpaper paste, but there is no blood. There is no crying out in pain (unless you spend any time in the faculty room - there you can hear some crying out), there are no open wounds, and there is no oozing. I'm so glad there is no oozing.

It has come to my attention that when a goat gives birth there is apparent suffering and crying out in pain. And there is definitely oozing.

What to do? Well, after my girls were bred I began Operation Desensitization. I have watched dozens and dozens of goat birthing videos over the last several weeks, and I am happy to report I can now watch with great interest. I now not only keep my eyes open the entire time, I find myself critiquing the whole operation. "Oh, that's a nice kidding pen, filled with fluffy shavings!" "Why is that poor goat giving birth in the dirt next to a lawn mower??" "Wipe the poor kid's face, already!" "Why are they pulling on the kid when everything seems to be going fine?" "I did not see them use any anti-bacterial anything!"

Along with no longer feeling horrified, I am beginning to see the magic in the births I have been watching. Each doe is a little different. Some are more vocal, some seem to take it more in stride. The circle of life is so beautiful, and watching new life appear has to top anything else that we can witness. My maternal instincts have taken over, and I cannot wait to see my little does bring new kids into the world. I am excited and honored to be part of something so primitive and so elemental.

I will definitely have my vet's cell number handy, as well as the numbers of my experienced farm friends, but I think I can do this.

And I'm confident I can handle the oozing.


This is a video from Sunflower Farm Creamery - when I grow up I want to have a farm like this :)




2 comments:

  1. Your writing is always full of love and humor. Happy goating! Thanks for sharing �� XOXO

    ReplyDelete